Friday, November 27, 2009

But what happens if it rains........

That was the question on everyone's lips last night when heading off to the first Kris Kringle night market for the season at Northcote town hall.


I left work at 2.30 just as the heavens decided to open up, thunder included, and pelt down for 40 mins. So I too pondered the question....What do I do if it rains?

and what can you do.....

I can't control the weather, the organizers would love it if they could control weather....but the reality is, it all comes down to mother nature and even the best attempt at planning a big event can be marred by the forces of nature, so unpredictable and so unforgiving.

So what can you do:

The easy option is to cancel, stay at home on the couch and think of what could have been.

Or

Buck up, be prepared and wear a smile.

Cause you know what....the organisers have gone to a hell of a lot of effort to promote the event and you won't make any money or friends, sitting at home on the couch.

I chose option two and I'm so glad I did.

Margaret and I shared an outside stall which was a lovely big space to set up in, we brought tarps, marquees, raincoats and a can do attitude.

Apart from the bit of rain during set up, the weather eased up and served us a great night out.
It was a profitable venture for both of us and when i asked each customer if they were just passing by or if they came intentionally.....every one of them said "a friend told me about the market and I really wanted to come to the first one and get a head start on my x-mas shopping."

Come rain, hail or shine, the customers come...... so come rain, hail or shine, the sellers should be there too.
See you at the next one on the x-mas market calendar this Sat, 28th Nov Northside Makers market, 251 High st, Northcote.

Thanks so much to Jen, Cathy, Louise, Lou, Claudia and mum, Rachielle, Liz and all the other lovely peeps that popped by to say hello. It ended up being a fun night for all......

3 comments:

  1. Thats terrific. I'm glad you had such a great market. You make me miss living in Melbourne... maybe I will have to come down for a visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was worth the effort! Good on you!

    I'm teaching on THursday nights at the mo, so will miss the market each week. On Saturday I have to go to a friend's shindig in the country - I hope this Saturday's market is a winner for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray!

    So sorry I'm teaching on Thursdays at the mo - would love to be able to pop in and see you there. Hope the rest of the Kris Kringle market season goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to drop by. I'd love to hear from you and have the chance to discover your blog too, so drop me a line anytime (: