Thursday, May 28, 2009

How did the market go!

I haven't been holding back on telling you all about my latest market endeavor, I promise. Just needed some spare time and new batteries for the camera to show you the goodies I bought.

The Sonny and Coco market was on Sunday just gone and it was a big turnout.
Lot's of stall holders and a real mix of offerings. Some vintage, some gorgeous craft, and some second hand rubbish. (even with the Savers tag still on)

Unfortunately no yummy BBQ or salad bar, so I went hungry.
There was one cupcake/muffin seller but I'm trying so hard to be healthy....so I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

If you know ANY food vendors that do scrummy savory food, we need them. Every market I go to is desperate for lunch type stall holders. There is a lot of white tape with food and hygiene certification, but if you know peep's that have been pondering whether or not to take the plunge and get certified, tell them they would have plenty of events ready and willing to take them on.

Back to the market.
Surprisingly for me it was my best market yet. I never count my money till I get home and do an inventory. Then I get an accurate picture of what sold. It ended up being our most profitable so far. I was really amazed, extremely happy of course, but bewildered too.

I had added three new product ranges since my last venture (baskets, fabric pendants and earrings) and decided to bring all the knitwear along, that may have been why!

I hope to continually reinvent my product and keep it fresh, so that every visit to a Finki stall brings something new. Next time I'm introducing bracelets and brooches.

So................................ on to the goodies.

I grabbed this awesome cowboy fabric, with the intention of using it to make a quilt for Finn. I saw the lovliest one at the market, but I would have had to trade 20 items with the seller just so I could afford it. So I decided to make one myself. I've always loved this fabric and was wrapt when I saw it at the table of my neighbour, peta pledger.

My other neighbour, Scented Sisters, tantalized my nostrils all day with the most divine smelling soaps. So we did a trade and i got these fab soaps. Apple & cinnamon and lemon myrtle & geranium. They look good enough to eat.

Lastly, I traded with another talented seller, Roz Mcquillan, promoting her photography and art on block canvasses. You know I love art that can stand on a shelf, and I couldn't go past this graffiti pussycat and owl, so bold and beautiful amongst all that purple.

So all in all it was a good day.
The oranizers do need to work on there image and selection process, and definately on getting bigger tables, but for me, it's close to home. I'm a part of the Darebin community and know a lot of people in the area, so I felt at home. I'd definately do it again.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day, except for going hungry ofcourse. Isn't it a buzz when you realise you had your best sales ever at a market...yipee!! yahoo!! you want to sing it from the rooftops. I too am always adding new things and marking down things that didnt sell to keep it fresh and new. Nothing worse than a stale market where everything you've seen before! Good on you Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear the market was such a success for you and your new range. Something to remember when you are feeling flat and frustrated and wondering why you are doing this anyway!!

    PS... I wondered... did you get to the deliriously hungry stage where you considered taking a tiny bite of the soap..?? It does look good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations but you deserve it. Sounds like you have been working super hard on it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I agree with you about the second hand crap i was stuck being surounded by it. The market went ok for me and i think i would do it again.Next time i`ll thankfully have more than 4 days to make things. I`m also looking at doing the Northcote winter market, how about you? The next market al least i`ll know your face. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous goodies you picked up. I'll be keen to go and check out the market if it happens again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to drop by. I'd love to hear from you and have the chance to discover your blog too, so drop me a line anytime (: