Not that sort of rack! This sorta of rack......
I have been thinkin' and thinkin' and thinkin' of a better way to display my earrings, as I was never happy with the bowl arrangement I had.
It was a lovely wooden bowl with 6 compartments and I would color code them so that each section held one color. I tend to always work in bold color blocks, so that arrangement work well,to an extent............
You could see the few on top only, and people had to dig around to check the others out. Inevitably by the end of a market day they were all upside down with only my backing cards showing. So instead of spending my shift turning them right way round I figured there had to be a better way.
I noticed some people used pin boards or dangle two from a store bought earring display, but....I work in big quantities and tend to have 50 plus to choose from at each stall, so I'd end up having 50 little stands dominating my table. Not the look I was going for....
So after many months thrifting at local oppies and trash n' treasure markets hoping to find the perfect display solution, I gave up...
I gave up on the notion that I was going to find exactly what I needed already made up.
So off I went to Bunnings with my little sketch and basic measurements in hand, feeling very much like a tomboy in amongst all the blokey builders and craftsmen.
I wanted to fit 10 pairs on a shelf and have 6 shelves, so that the finished height was no bigger than 45cm. This was so it would fit perfectly on one of the shelves at the shop. (Olive Grove)
With that in mind, I grabbed some pine that was 60mm wide 240mm long. My idea was to have dowels as the legs that held it all up, so we grabbed 12.5mm dowel in 2 long lengths to be cut up.
I got the man in the cut shop to saw the wood for me as I only have a coping saw at home and why spend hours cutting little itty bits of wood in crooked lines, whilst risking finger loss.... when they can do it in 2 minutes flat. Too easy.
Back at grandpas we measured up hole placement and shelf alignment, sawed the dowel to even lengths (cause the Bunnings peeps could only cut the square wood) and borrowed a 12.5 mm drill bit.
Thanks for helping me nut out the finer details gramps, made assemblage a dream!
Next it was home with all the bitses for assembling.
First we drilled big holes.....
painted it....and put it in the shop!
I'm so happy with the end result.
It looks like there is so much more to choose from, and it takes up minimal surface area on the shelf. YAY!
I'm not 100% on the color. I wanted something quite neutral, but the washed out green is a bit girly...
I might revisit the finish at some stage, but for now it does the job.
To think, for all those months of shopping wasted when I could have just bit the bullet a lot sooner and made one. Oh well...now I know what I'm doing I 'll make a shorter black one for my space in Handmade Heaven.