Friday, October 14, 2011

How does one manage one self...Blogtoberfest day 14.

As a small business owner I have only myself to answer to, so early on I learnt that I had to develop some sort of routine to keep everything in check, otherwise I would get consumed by the daily to do lists well before I even got myself out of bed.

So these days my day begins just as it would if I was working for the man.
I'm up and showered early along with the rest of the family getting ready for school and work. After seeing them off I put on the kettle for my morning cuppa.

Lately chai blends have been my tea of choice, but when that's out,
Earl grey is my morning wake up.

From tea and brekky, I move on to emails, blog, facebook.

A little bit of catching up and keeping in touch.
So important to know what's happening in your world and to be a part of it.

Then it's on to the to do list.
To sort out my week and break it down into what is achievable for the day.
I tend to overestimate what I can achieve in one day, but I don't beat myself up if I didn't get it all done.

A great quote I read once, said
'Don't try and do it all in one day, leave some for tomorrow,
cause then you have a reason to jump out of bed in the morning and get going '
Made sense to me.
So I start my days work finishing off yesterdays list, giving me a sense of accomplishment for finishing something, which then gives me the energy to move on to today's list.

From there it's work till 1 then stop for lunch.

I used to work right through, but that would set me up for rushing through things on an empty stomach, which led to mistakes. I would also muck up my eating for the day as I'd end up eating lunch at 4 then be making dinner for everyone at 5.30 and totally not interested in eating it.

So lunch at one it is. Which come rain hail or shine is my time to sit on the veranda and get me some fresh air. 30 minutes to eat and another check in on the computer before I head back to the studio till 5.

After that, it's time to pack up my mess for the day, close the door on the studio and start dinner.

I don't work weekends and I don't work nights and even though I have a preferred daily routine ... sometimes I just go op shopping instead.

It's been over 3 years since I started this work for myself gig and it really has taken me this long to streamline it.

I first tried being there for family all day, then work from 8-pm to the wee hours...that just led to sleeping in and stuffing up my eating and energy levels for the day.

I tried doing 3 days a week, so I could have kids home 2 days, and that just led to me stealing time at nights and on weekends to craft.

Then I tried admitting to myself, that this is my life, this is something I really enjoy and this should be my job.
So I accepted that, quit my day job and I started to treat it as my 9 to 5 and now... It seems to be working.

It is so important, to not kid yourself with these things.

Image via my pinterset board

If you eat, breathe and sleep a certain something, if you wake up and go to sleep each day thinking about it,
I reckon that's a bloody good sign that you need to start living that life.

I used to work for the man and I often tell friends, I'd be there all day thinking about what I wanted to make when I got home, then I'd get home and be exhausted having worked for the man and couldn't make anything.

Neither working or crafting got the best of me. They both got half of me. The tired and cranky and preoccupied half of me.

So leaving the rat race was the best decision I ever made.

It wasn't easy and it sure took time to work out my routines.
To balance everything and make sure I was making enough to put food on the table each night.
But therein lies the challenge.

It was never meant to be easy, it was just supposed to feel right. To feel as though I was living an authentic life, listening to my heart and following my dreams. I think when you come from that place of absolute honesty, of responding to such a basic instinct, you can't go wrong.

So there you have it.

That's how I manage myself and my day.
No amazing insights, just hard work, a little bit of structure and being honest with myself.
Jay xx

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post and it's definitely something I can relate to, I wrote a post about my experiences running a small business earlier this week. Perhaps the thing I find a bit challenging is that it can be a bit isolating. But fortunately we're trying out free shared office space next month so we'll see how that goes...I do like not having the morning commute also, used to take me over an hour to get to Prahran from Brunswick everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a huge inspiration to me Jay & I'm sure to many others. I really enjoyed reading about how you manage your time & your need for self discipline. I so wish I could quit the day job. Hopefully one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really enjoyed reading this, as i'm contemplating working for myself as there is something else that is always on my mind... and i've been thinking that perhaps i should just go for it, since this is all i think about! and it's good to hear the different approaches you tried in managing your day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really impressed that you're not working in the evenings any more. That's great time management!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to drop by. I'd love to hear from you and have the chance to discover your blog too, so drop me a line anytime (: